Friday, November 7, 2008

Am I the only one...

...that can't stand this movie?



It seems inexplicably popular to me. I love a good adventure and fantasy story as much as the next bloke, but this one is just annoying. The thing I hate most about it, is the part when the grandpa is telling the Fred Savage kid the story. Not only is this cheesy and dated (talk about 80s!), it is completely pointless. Why does it have to be a story about a story? Why can't the story about Westly and Butterhead be enough for the film? It devalues the fantasy and makes people cringe.

Also, the quotes. People quote this film to death. And they aren't even good quotes! "As you wiiiiiiiiish", "inconceivable" - inconceivable is a common English word and somehow people think you're referring to this film if you use it... and the worst one: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Now, in what situation can this quote possibly be of any relevance? That's right, none. It's so specific to the context of the movie that it doesn't even make sense to quote it in real life. But people do. Inconceivable.

I don't think 'The Princess Bride' is a bad film at all, just a reasonable one that's been overrated by people that go on about it. There are other good movies out there you know...

12 comments:

JK said...

Yeah I really don't like this film urrgg, I think this was one of those films that made me feel sick.

John Dekker said...

I note that it's #5 on Stuff Christian Culture Likes.

Erica said...

Good points, but I still love it. Probably because it has fond childhood memories :)

Laura said...

Aw... come on. That's just pure cynicism talking. It's supposed to be slightly satirical, not just a schlumpy romance. Billy Crystal! Carol Kane! Christopher Guest!

I do agree with you about one thing: the story-within-a-story conceit is incredibly irritating. I feel the same way about "A League of Their Own." Didn't we talk about that when I was there?

fional said...

And on other topics . . . Pryderi, do you know about 'Dying Breed'?

Cabernet Leather said...

Yes, I know about it. Have you seen it?

fional said...

Gosh no, I can't watch a whole episode of X Files cos I get too terrified. It does sounds pleasingly B grade though.

Anonymous said...

hey der,

not sure if you have seen this but check it out:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4

it's possibly the best thing since sliced bread.

Ba

stu said...

it's clean, therefore safe for youth groups, therefore it's a classic in Christian circles.

stephy said...

It's got a cultish following with people who like squeaky-clean movies. I remember my homeschooled friends' parents being pretty disturbed by the kissing in it. Remembering that is probably more annoying than the actual movie.

Cabernet Leather said...

It definitely seems to be a "Christian Classic".

It's good for kids but some adults like it more than children!

Alexander said...

The movie is a classic fairytale.

- The story within a story thing is good because when you were a kid in the 80's, just seeing Fred Savage made you feel good. Same with Andre the Giant. And the nerdy guy (in a different way). And although it seemed every movie had to had 'love' and 'kissing' in it, Fred at least expressed out disgust.

- "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" is appropriate in situations of simulated, comic revenge.