Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Inexplicable Oscars


1997 Best Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (L.A. Confidential)

'L.A. Confidential' is a fantastic, near perfect film but I can't understand how Kim Basinger's portrayal of Lynn Bracken was considered worthy of an Oscar. It's certainly not a bad performance; Basinger is convincing enough, looking and sounding the part, but was she that good? I have a soft spot for the Academy Awards, I like knowing who wins and trying to work out why. Sometimes there are awards given for seemingly inexplicable reasons, and I'm going to do my best to work out these reasons.

So, who were the nominees for this award in 1997?

Kim Basinger - L.A. Confidential
Joan Cusack - In & Out
Minnie Driver - Good Will Hunting
Julianne Moore - Boogie Nights
Gloria Stuart - Titanic

I wouldn't say it was the strongest group of contenders so maybe it's not so surprising that Basinger won. However, I think Julianne Moore was much more impressive with her role in 'Boogie Nights'.

Maybe I missed some subtleties in her acting. Perhaps I should give her more credit when I say she was convincing in this role because, maybe it was not such an easy character to play. In the hands of someone like Sharon Stone, for example, this character probably wouldn't have had the depth that Kim gave her; it would probably have been a one-dimensional femme fatale stereotype (although I could be completely wrong there, because Kim Basinger has never been considered one of the great actresses). But I don't think she should have won an Oscar just because someone else could have done a worse job; I hope that's not how they decide these things.

A somewhat cynical theory as to why she was considered the best supporting actress, is that because 'Titanic' swept up most of the awards, this award was handed to 'L.A. Confidential' as a consolation prize. As if to say "look it's a great film guys, too bad 'Titanic' had to come out... here, have this actress award". I really hope that's not what happened. I like to think that the Academy make these decisions based on what was the best in each category.

Has anyone else wondered why she won this award? Or have any other inexplicable Oscar beefs?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Um, two words, Der:

James F***ing Cameron.

Ok, that was three words, but seriously. It takes a lot for me to bust out the asterisk-bowdlerized F-word.