Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Pursuit of Happyness

Just watched the Will Smith film The Pursuit of Happyness at Bible Study. It was the victor of four other contending films in a potentially flawed electoral system (pair and elimination). It's probably the easiest way to select a film to please a large group of people.

Will Smith was very good; he plays a serious part with excellence. I can't really remember any standout moments, and the film kept up the same pace throughout. My biggest problem with it was the music and production; it just made it seem too slick, too polished, and too cheesy. I felt the story (quite a powerful tale) would have been better served by a more gritty style.

It's not a bad movie though. Worth a watch. Much better than Boondock Saints.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for the review. I have strangely not seen it … mostly because of the spelling “mistake.” It annoys me! Sad, no?? But maybe I should now :)

Cabernet Leather said...

The deliberate spelling mistake makes sense when you see the movie, but I can see how it would be annoying.

ambersun said...

I liked the Pursuit of Happyness.

Didn't notice it being too slick as I was too engrossed in the film to be that analytical.

I just like the whole rags to riches genre. It gives me hope.

Amber

Laura said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QAlt4Sfl7Q

You must watch this, on orders from me, Em and Gwyd. We've watched it twice and Gwyd is now weeping.

Mark (under construction) said...

Came here via your comment at "stuff christian culture likes" my coment was tongue in cheek ... hey!! nice blog!!!