Friday, August 1, 2008

Children of Men



I enjoyed this. Most futuristic, sci-fi (I'm not sure if Children of Men is sci-fi... don't think so), apocalyptic thrillers are fine with me. There are some quite intense scenes that are really well filmed. Alfonso CuarĂ³n is an impressive filmmaker, at least, from what I've seen of his films so far (his Harry Potter film is the best in that series by a long way, I think). Clive Owen is pretty good in this, in fact all of the acting is top-notch.

It all seems a bit hollow though. We have Clive's character trying to get a pregnant woman to a mysterious scientific project ship, because the world is in complete disarray, due to the inability of having children. And there is a freedom fighting/terrorist organisation that have rather vague motives. Not much is really explained at all, and this means the film is just 110 minutes of action with a couple of forced philosophical moments that miss the mark. I don't mind ambiguity as a storytelling method, if it actually works, but I don't think it does here. Maybe I just need to watch it again.

That said, it is a really exciting, visually stunning film and a lot of people seem to like it.

3 Stars.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Children of Men counts as sci-fi in the literary world, although pedants would class it as "speculative fiction".

Either way, it does what the best SF does: it explores how our societies affect our humanity, and vice versa.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, read the book.

Cabernet Leather said...

I would like to read the book and I plan to.

I think, in most cases, if a film requires its audience to read the novel it's adapted from, in order to understand it, then it hasn't succeeded as a story-telling device. What do you think?

fional said...

I *loved* the dark 80s' feel.