Thursday, August 21, 2008

Death at a Funeral

A pretty funny, farcical British comedy. Some of it I found hilarious, some of it didn't quite hit the mark. I reckon this type of comedy would be quite hard to write; you need to give the audience the impression that "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" without being too obvious in setting up these scenes. It worked really well in Meet The Parents and it's effortlessly pulled off in Clockwise (and of course, Fawlty Towers), but in Death at a Funeral, there were scenes that just seemed to try a bit too hard. Having said that, I laughed a lot during it, particularly any scene involving Uncle Alfie or the midget. One of this film's strengths is its characters; they're believable enough to make me laugh, even if the scenario they're involved in is totally absurd.

3 Stars

1 comment:

Alistair Bain said...

Sorry man. Absolutely hated it. I just can't stand this sort of "comedy". Cringe films stick in my craw.

I would have walked out. But I kept thinking that there must be a redeeming feature. There wasn't!!